Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Creating a Feed from Your Website - Adding items to the website feed
The last post we discussed how to create an RSS feed. I provided a
barebones but fully functional outline for an RSS Feed for a website. Here
<title>the feed title</title>
<link>the website url</link>
<description>the feed description</description>
The Title, Link, and Description describe the feed. There are more optional
parameters like author, copyright, and date.
Review: To create a feed
- Create a text file with the extension of xml
- Copy and past the lines above
- Fill in the blanks for title, link and description
- FTP the text file to a server
- and people can start subscribing to your feed.
To update the Feed, we add information for items.
- An item is like an entry, a post.
- A channel may contain any number of items.
- An item for a website is a headline or summary of what is on the website,
- The item points back to the website for the full story.
The process is this
- Add one or more items
- FTP the text file back to the server
The RSS Feed aggregators will find the new items and deliver them to your
Next Post: Describing Feed Items